New Ford GPA engine F.S. !!

Here you can post your wanted parts or sell your GPA parts.

Moderator: bobassel

Ian Grieve

Post by Ian Grieve » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 am

Gentlemen

The fact that the engine is stamped (GPA935) and is below the number of GPA's produced (12,774 by official records of both Ford Motor Company and Tank-Automotive Centre) indicates the engine was in GPA 935 (same number as the Nomenclature Plate on the dash and the chassis number). It will not have been a test engine from Day One.

Has anybody ever seen an engine with a number stamped higher than 12,774?

There were also the three additional Ford Pilot models and the Marmon-Herrington QMC-4.

I have records at home of the US Army removing engines from GPA's on the West Coast before war's end. There were quite a number of GPA's that suffered this fate at that depot. I will dig out the details.

A lot of GPA engines ended up in refurbished MB and GPW jeeps here in Australia. From memory I think there was just over 70. Again, I will dig out the records. No doubt the same happened in the US.

I should mention that Ford Public Relations Branch published a War Record after 1945 with 12,778 and 12,781 GPA's produced. Detailed records clearly show otherwise.

It is great to enjoy the history. This engine coming to surface in a crate is absolutely beautiful. I have often wondered if anybody has seen the remains of the 333 cubic feet GPA Packing Case, with appropriate stencilling, that Ford produced to ship GPA's overseas under Lend-Lease?

Ian
Ian Grieve
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia

Ian Grieve

Post by Ian Grieve » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:16 am

Gentlemen

Following is an interesting piece of history and sad for enthusiasts today.

In January, 1944, an inspection of vehicles at the Utah Army Service Forces Depot near Salt Lake City revealed the poor state of internal components of engines of vehicles held in storage. Another inspection was undertaken again in January, 1945. Whilst at Utah ASF Depot, it became apparent that a 16 June, 1943, directive from Tank-Automotive Centre, Detroit, required all ¼ ton amphibious trucks to be returned for "Reserve Storage - Do Not Ship". Utah Depot was the storage point for the Ninth Service Command. From 8 August 1943 to 20 June 1944, 1,540 GPA’s were returned, then forwarded to nearby Ogden Arsenel on 29 August, 1944. Half the vehicles were driven and the other half towed. The vehicles were stripped for parts, and the bodies disposed of for salvage. It is interesting to note that the majority of vehicles were without wheels whilst in storage at Utah Depot in May, 1944. The poor state of the engines was put down to “lack of preventative maintenance reflect gross negligence”.

I have yet to dig out the letter I referred to in the posting last week. The story is not unlike that mentioned above and involved removing engines from GPA’s. It was on a base just north of Los Angeles towards war’s end.

Ian
Ian Grieve
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Very interresting Ian. You are a true well in the GPA matter.
Mithril
1943 Ford GPA #7177 (SOLD)
1945 Ford GPW #267061
1944 Bantam T-3 #48593
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... me=mithril
http://homeusers.brutele.be/mithril

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fordgpa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 pm

GENTLEMAN
PLEASE KEEP TO THE SUBJECT WANTED FOR SALE
:idea:

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:04 am

This is great information... I would rather see the moderation be to move it to one of the other sections in the site (Like G503 does) rather than restrict/reprimand a member volunteering a GREAT piece of GPA information most of us have never heard before and shut down its source... I know this is your site.. but I feel its the members that make it relevant. Hopefully no offense and just constructive opinion.

Cheers,
Tony

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fordgpa » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:05 am

GPA2196 wrote:This is great information... I would rather see the moderation be to move it to one of the other sections in the site (Like G503 does) rather than restrict/reprimand a member volunteering a GREAT piece of GPA information most of us have never heard before and shut down its source... I know this is your site.. but I feel its the members that make it relevant. Hopefully no offense and just constructive opinion.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony no offense taken, you opinion is ok :lol:
It is not my site, it is ours.
The only thing I try to do, keep it clear.[ posting in the sector where it belongs]
I tried to move it and I hope you all are happy with it.
I never want to shut down information about GPA or restricting ect.
I thank you for reply and hope everybody is happy again.
Keep posting

Peter

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks Peter,

I check this site several times a day always hoping to glean some new information about GPA's... I am a bit obsessive about them :) You've done a great job providing us a focused place for GPA's

Cheers,
Tony

LincolnS

Post by LincolnS » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello Gentlemen, The engine will be shipped soon. Are there any additional photos you would like to see? I will do the best I can to get a clear photo. The new owner lives in Luxembourg.

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Dear LincolnS, do you know if it will go in a GPA ?
Mithril
1943 Ford GPA #7177 (SOLD)
1945 Ford GPW #267061
1944 Bantam T-3 #48593
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... me=mithril
http://homeusers.brutele.be/mithril

LincolnS

Post by LincolnS » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Mithril wrote:Dear LincolnS, do you know if it will go in a GPA ?

Good question, I do not yet know what his plans are for it.

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fordgpa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:03 am

subject topic is moved please post there