I want a GPA

Here you can post your wanted parts or sell your GPA parts.

Moderator: bobassel

Motor-Sarge

I want a GPA

Post by Motor-Sarge » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:19 pm

Hello, I'm Matthew and I live in Texas USA. I'm in Iraq right now and want to buy a GPA when I get back. I have restored a few vehicles before so I'm not new to WW II, but very new to Amphib's. Anyone know where one in the states is for sale? I have a M-3 halftrack I might trade for one. Hope to join the club of GPA owners soon.

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by bobassel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Hello Matthew

Welcome to this forum!
This is a good place to get information of GPA's.
Sometimes there are tips for a GPA for sale!
But!!! keep in mind the most well known words for GPA are;
expensive, hard to find, not for sale,difficult to work on! :cry:
Even if you find a GPA you probably have a lot of work
in the future!
Anyway..... Good luck and If you find one we all are interested
and are willing to give you advice and help!

Bob (Lucky owner of GPA 4928) :D
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 pm

Matthew,

I agree with Bob wholeheartedly and would change expensive to very expensive!!

You have to be extremely patient (I looked for 5 years before finding one) and while I have run across a few they were typically in bad shape. If you decide you want to do this you must find one that is mostly complete as finding parts will be almost as difficult as finding the vehicle.

Good luck as you might get lucky and run across one that nobody knew about. It takes diligence and patience.

Good luck,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

Motor-Sarge

Post by Motor-Sarge » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:07 am

Thanks for the kind and sobering words. The Jeeps I have were fairly cheep and easy to fix or find parts for. The M-3 Halftrack was a little harder and more expensive. I have always loved the GPA and the M-29c Amphibious Weasle. After getting a Weasle I quickly fell out of love for it. I want something with wheels and not treads. I am studying the info available to me to learn as much as I can before I get back home in 2008. Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Matthew
'41 Slatt Grill MB
'41 Buick Special
'43 M-3 Halftrack
'43 MB
'50 M-38 (MC)

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:55 am

Matthew,

Welcome to the forum! I'd have to agree with the others as well, but don't despair, they are still out there.... I found 5 while looking for mine from 3 different sources in surrounding states... TN, GA, FL..... I believe I saw a post from a new member in NY who found a very complete one not sure how recent it was.... As for prices, I've paid from 6K to 15K for each parts vehicles about 5 years ago.... My GPA is very close to being completed and I've seen the restored GPA's go for around 70,000 to 90,000 fully restored... I've spoken with some other owners here in the states and feel that a pristine example would fetch about 100,000 in todays market... but as always its only worth what one will pay... that farmer with the barn may sell you his for 100 bucks.... ;) Seriously though, if you have your heart set on one.... and keep looking you will hopefully find one.... I would say make sure its as complete as possible and has a good hull.... they all rust under the batteries in the rear. Also get yourself a repro parts manual from portrayal press... it has the part number next to each part and the designation such as GPW or GPA or GP.... GPW and GP parts are plentiful NOS or reproduced so you are covered there... but make sure you have as many of the GPA parts as possible on any of your finds.... I used a highlighter on my manual... (it was a reprint, the orignal is untouched).....

Good Luck,
Tony
GPA 2196