GPA Exhaust pipe set

Here you can post your wanted parts or sell your GPA parts.

Moderator: bobassel

richardfs

GPA Exhaust pipe set

Post by richardfs » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:07 am

Hi All,
Here is an up date on the work in progress on the GPA exhausts.
Firstly thank you to every one who sent me drawings, and samples.

After a lot of research here is what can and cannot be done.
The original pipe out of the manifold with its double bend is a "Cow" (Bear for our American friends). No body I can find wants to go near this.
The solution is to space the two bends a part slightly and make it all fit Material 304 stainless.

The bellow material:- This is available or some thing very close in 1 3/4 material. Correct looking tapers can be made to join into the bellow material. (304 stainless)

Bellow pipe to muffler. This size material is available in 409 stainless steel. This pipe is easy enough to make but may need minor modification to match up to bellow. (May need to be shortened a little).

Tail pipe. (At last an easy one) No problem to make as original, just need to make press tool for anti rattle clips. Material 304 stailess.

Total cost of full assemble without muffler $260.00 US

Where to from here? Next I will make up one system and fit it to my GPA.
Then when all looks good I will do a production run TO ORDER.

Please let me know who is interested in this NOT EXACT repro exhaust system. (But as close as I can go).

Estimated delivery :- Mid January.

Best regards Richard Sanders

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:57 am

Thanks for the update Richard!

So with my original first piece and second piece connection you should be able to fit up the bellows on that?

Thanks,
Tony

richardfs

Fitting to original

Post by richardfs » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:20 am

Hi Tony,
Certainly there is a possibility that the modern 48mm bellow material may fit your original samples.

I will not be sure until I order in the bellow material. But with a bit of luck this could work.

I will keep you posted.

Best regards Richard

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:36 pm

Great, I would prefer to use the original pieces if possible :)

Thanks,
Tony

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:40 am

Richard,

What happened to the exhaust pipes? Are you still going to create them or did I hear that somebody in Europe was making them? I am only interested in the the two pieces between the exhaust manifold and the muffler (I already have the other piece).

Hope you had a good holiday,

Thanks,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:34 pm

Donovan,

Last I heard, Richard said he'd probably have one done by mid January. Not trying to put words in Richards mouth but I believe he communicated that to me either by email or on a forum.

Cheers,
Tony

richardfs

GPA exhausts

Post by richardfs » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi All
Up date on the GPA exhaust systems.

I found a great guy who has all the righjt equipment for bending the double bend in the manifold pipe.
Over Christmas I finished the drawings, and removed the exhaust from my unrestored GPA to use as the fitting jig. (The GPA).

With luck by the end of this month early next they should all be finished.
Price wise :- around $250.00US- $300.00 (no more) for a full set of Stainless steel pipes. With luck I will have a stainless steel muffler to go with the pipies for around $ 150.00US.

If you are interested in a set please drop me an Email so we can finalise production quantities.

Best regards Richard Sanders

richardfs

Up date on GPA Exhaust Pipes

Post by richardfs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:28 am

HI All,
Well I guess you all want to know how the exhaust pipes are progressing. We have at last found enough of the correct diameter tube,
and the flexible bellow material has arrived. (All this has taken far longer than anticipated).

The first of prototype is good but not good enough. So its back to looking for some better bending shoes to get the bends as close as possible to the originals.
With a little luck we should have these next week and soon have a better idear on delivery.

Thank you all for your patience.

Best regards
Richard Sanders

richardfs

Fitting Your Exhaust pipes.

Post by richardfs » Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 am

Hi All,
For those of you who ordered a pipe set from me you should have received it now. I thought I would write a few handy fitting tips:-

The pipes are made of 402 stainless steel. They will discolour but not rust like mild steel.
These are copied from original pipes so they fit properly (Test on my GPA).
The tail pipe is made long enough to protrude out the side of the hull.
For me I like it cut so it can not be seen but nearly comes out of the hull. The original tail pipe was much shorter, but I feel there was a strong possibility of fumes coming back into the hull at this length. In short, cut it to what you are happy with.

Fitting is a fight. Best done with three people and the nose cut of your GPA. :lol:

First slide the two pipes that fit on to the muffler into position and fit the clamp brackets to them then slide both up as high as possible and "squeeze the muffler in between them. Then slide the whole assemble back down into position carefully "tapping the pipes on to the muffler. Finally fit the pipe to the manifold.

Thank you for you support with this project.

I have a couple of sets left over, so If any one has changed their mind be quick.
Note correct offset out of manifold.

Pipe set is made to suit original mufflers.

Best regards
Richard Sanders

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 am

Richard,

I received my pipes and they look great. I have to wait awhile before I fit as the hull is not done yet. I noticed that you did not put the centering tabs on the last pipe. I had my original and when I recreated it I had the centering tabs put on. Another question I had is what people are using for the sleeve that goes around the pipe. The original was asbestos-laden and I have no desire to put that on and was interested to know what people are substituting with?

Thanks,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

GlennV

Post by GlennV » Tue May 08, 2007 7:33 am

Hi Donovan,

i have used the material they use for fitting glas in wood-stoves.

It is a kind of rope (diam. 1/2 ") made of (glas ?) insulation material.

Best regards,
Glenn
Ford GPA - SN 5892 - DOD Jan 14 1943
Willys MB - SN 456307 - DOD July 30 1945

richardfs

Tail pipe

Post by richardfs » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 am

Hi Donavan,
The anti rattle clips cause some debate. The original sample I had with the antirattle clips on it had two problems:-
1) it would not fit through the original deck flanges.
2) ever one I spoke to wanted a differant length tail pipe.
(Again creating a problem spot welding the clips.)

So I decide in a desperate attempt to please all (Not likely to be acheived) :roll: to make the tail pipe longer than the original so it protuded out side the hull. (As many requested this). This way you can cut it to the length required. In doing this it made it difficult to weld the clips as the positioning would vari with the length of pipe. I was also concious of the cost of making press tooling to make these clips and fitting, and decided it was better to leave them off. :?

On my original GPA I did not have these clips and I used a fibre glass insulating rope around the pipe to make it snug in the outer pipe. This solved the rattle problem, and to this day is still in there.

Well thats my thoughts and findings for what they are worth.

Best regards

Richard Sanders

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue May 15, 2007 11:06 am

Dear Richard

Got my parcel today with the exhaust pipe. Did not have a chance to look at it yet.

Thanks

Jerome
1939 BMW R12, 1941 GP, 1941 MB, 1942 MB, 1942 GPW, 1943 GPA, 1944 MB, 1945 Weasel M29C, 1950 JH101
http://www.jeepandmedic.com

richardfs

Re: GPA Exhaust pipe set

Post by richardfs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:15 am

I have been asked by a few GPA restorers if I would consider making another run of GPA exhaust pipes.

For this to be a viable project we need a minium of 6 sets and ideally 10 sets to get the price reasonable.

If you would like a set please send me an Email and we will see if there is sufficient demand.

Best regards
Richard Sanders