April 2, 1943; congratulations my dear GPA 12350, on your 81st birthday!

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

April 2, 1943; congratulations my dear GPA 12350, on your 81st birthday!

Post by bobassel » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:13 pm

April 2, 1943, GPA12350 rolled off the production line at the Rouge plant and, as I can reconstruct, probably did not play an active role in the Second World War.
Probably used privately after his military career until malfunctions and leaks occurred, and he almost ended his life like so many military war veterans, on the scrap heap.
Laying outdoors for about 30 years in all weather conditions, he was cannibalized as a donor for parts with an engine that was frozen and without an oil sump and cylinder head.
With a cutting torch people removed some more parts of your rusty remains.
Prices rose considerably over the years, and suddenly there was some hope for this GPA.
He was finally found in Washington State by a trafficker and taken to Kansas.
Offered for sale as a sad, rusty and incomplete GPA.
I saw on the internet this GPA in the Netherlands and wanted to bring it back to life.
As GPA 12350 there stood, this was almost an impossible task.
After some time negotiating with the owner in Kansas, I bought it, and the GPA arrived on Dutch soil on January 23, 2019.
My other half almost had a heart attack when she admired my purchase!
So much money for such a lot of rust, you better bought a new Mercedes !!????
I started by disassembling whatever was left and preparing it for sandblasting.
I was able to repair en remain the original matching engine, but had to use almost 10 ton pressure to get the pistons out!
So much welding and even the frame was very bad.
After a lot of work and with the faithful help of a good friend, I finally received my license plate, coincidentally on my birthday, November 7, 2020, and I was able to drive and sail.
Within just under 2 years I had managed to build a driving / sailing GPA from the sad remains.
I must say that I would never have achieved this without all the GPA friends from all over the world! Thanks to the goodwill of friends I had met over the past 15 years,
I was able to complete my GPA again.
Parts from Russia, USA, Malta, France, Belgium, Great Brittany, Netherlands and Australia. GPA 12350 has made me completely happy again and I am participating in the international Amphib events again, sailing and riding with my international group of friends.
Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952