Fuel tube to carby.

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Amphibian

Fuel tube to carby.

Post by Amphibian » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi,I was wondering why so many restored gpa,s were using the gpw style metal fuel tube which has two bends in it,instead of the single bend I have seen in unrestored GPAs,.I have the single bend tube which is the one between the fuel pump and the carby..The singe bend tube also gives more clearance from the heat generated from the exhaust engine pipe.
Maybe some models were different?Thoughts?
Rick

acmack

Re: Fuel tube to carby.

Post by acmack » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:20 am

Hi Rick, please post a photo of your single bend line.

I'm guessing your line drops 45 deg down from the Carb and makes the one bend when level with the fuel pump.

If that is correct, wouldn't it cause the fuel line to pass closely to the manifold (chamber box) thus exposing it to additional heat which the double bend would avoid?

I've owned 3 GPA motors and 2 of them had hand-bent lines and the other was missing it's line. What does the S.African GPA fuel line look like? That's the only GPA that might have an original fuel line. I haven't seen any factory photos of GPA engines with a good view of the fuel line. Even my GPA manuals don't show the fuel line in place.

Best Regards David
GPA 9545
GPA 10568
1965 Apollo BP capsule A36
1960 Gemini BP capsule MSC 312

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bobassel » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:39 am

Hi David, you are right!
I think it is easy and it fits.
This is the untouched fuel line of GPA 4926 in the South African Museum.

I use IMGUR as a free photo bucket to store the pictures I use to put in the topics.
From there you place the pictures at your topic.

https://imgur.com/

Regards Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 4th 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952

acmack

Post by acmack » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:49 am

Hi Bob, thanks for posting the photo of the S.A. GPA. That does seem to lay that fuel line close to the manifold box.

Coincidentally, I noticed the top radiator metal tube does not appear to be a standard double bend shape. It appears as if only one bend is made and a longer piece of rubber hose is used at the thermostat housing end to eliminate to need for the first bend.
What do you think?

Best regards David
GPA 9545
GPA 10568
1965 Apollo BP capsule A36
1960 Gemini BP capsule MSC 312