River Rambling

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

richardfs

River Rambling

Post by richardfs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi
With weather finally improving as Australia heads in to summer I have been preparing the GPA for a 9 day trip down the River Murray.
Last week we spent 3 1/2 hours non stop running from Murray Bridge to Tailem Bend.
The weather was cool and spent the day threatening to ran, but this did not dampen our spirits.
At half throttle she cruised a long happily doing what she was designed to do.

To day we depart for our 9 day adventure with 3 other GPA,s. I will keep you all posted on how we go.
Regards
Richard

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: River Rambling

Post by bobassel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Good luck on your trip!
We are looking forward to the pictures!
Who are the other GPA owners that are going with you ?

Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952

richardfs

Post by richardfs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 am

Hi
Well we made back after a great river trip.
Here is the first article:-

River Rambling
Renmark to Morgan.

I often feel one of the biggest mistakes in doing a first class job of restoring a vehicle is that you are then to afraid that you may mark the vehicle so it does not get the use it might other wise get.

This was the mistake I made when I restored my first GPA some 25 years ago. It was a first class restoration, but some how it never got the use it deserved. Family, work and a mortgage got in the way and the GPA ended up sold.
Then I had the chance to buy another unrestored GPA 9398 I committed that it would be used even if it did end up damaged.
“No good in a Show Pony that seldom sees the light of day”.
After an extensive 4 year restoration 9398 was once again looking like she had just rolled of the production line in Dearborn Michigan.

After 3 successful River test runs we committed to 9 days on the River Murray with three other experienced GPA owners- John Summers, Trevor Boyle, & Bruce Wilshire who had clocked up a staggering 5000km of river travel between them in GPA’s.

Australia is the driest Continent on Earth, and the Murray River is not like the Rivers of America and Europe. The Murray winds its way out of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales and is met by The Darling River that drains The Darling Downs area in Queensland. Even with 1/3 the country as its catchment area it still needs locks to make the River navagatable and often threatens to run dry before it finally reach’s the sea in South Australia.
Fortunately we have had good rains in Australia and the River was running high with a spectacular 4 knot current flow. (Great for going down stream but difficult for going up) For obvious reasons we decided to travel down stream.

For two people to ride in a GPA with enough food, water and a tent for 4 days requires some careful loading. The back seat was removed from my GPA and an imitation seat frame was made to take my fridge water and food boxes. Another frame was made to go over the spare tyre to carry the tent, table and chairs. All was achieved using existing bolt holes so the GPA could be returned to its original state.
An extra Jerry can holder was fitted so a total of 95 litres of fuel could be carried giving a river range of nearly 100km.
We all arrived as planned on Friday 5th of October to prepare for the departure on Sunday the 7th. The GPA was running faultlessly until it came to the Sunday morning. Already to splash into the river, but the differential compressor decides it cannot pressurise the axles.

A closer inspection reveals a leaking wheel seal. Nothing for it but to let the other go on a head whilst we take a 7 hour round trip to Adelaide to pick up a replacement seal. Repairs are affected over night and we head of bright and early to meet the others as they come into Berri. The engine was completely rebuilt and had always maintained 60 psi on initial start up 40 psi on the run and 20 at Idle.
Not today. At 40 mph on the highway the pressure struggled to stay at 20psi, by the time we arrived in Berri and the engine was properly warm it had slumped to 35psi and at idle an alarming 5psi.
We arrive at Berri wharf just in time to see the other GPA,s coming into view.
Low oil pressure is a “No Go Item” for swimming. It looked as though 9398 may well not be making the voyage.
The other pull up next to my GPA excited to see we had caught up with the group. This soon turned to disappointment.
Only 3 things it could be:-
Poor quality oil (Turned to water) No all ok!
Failed crank shaft bearings. ”Unlikely, the engine was restored by one of the best.
A stuck pressure relief valve in the oil pump.
A quick inspection reveals this to be the problem coupled with the spacer shim being on the wrong side of the spring.
Reinstalled the oil pressure is back where it should be.

We are all quickly into the water for the trip down stream.

More to come

Best regards
Richard

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bobassel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Great !!! sunny what an adventure!
Seeing this, I like to jump straight into mine and do some sailing.................
Looking forwars to the following parts.
Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952