Upper Side Ribbing (maybe for sale)

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Donovan

Upper Side Ribbing (maybe for sale)

Post by Donovan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Everyone,

As part of my restoration, I have had to recreate the upper side ribbing. We have noticed that the upper ribbing is slightly different than the lower ribbing (not as deep). We do not know if this is the same on all GPAs or just the late ones (that mine is). Anyways, if there is interest I may make a limited run of the ribbing (say 3 foot lengths) with one end having the finished end and approximately 6-inches wide with the rib situated 1" from one edge and approximately 4-1/2" from the other. Please let me know ASAP if there is any interest. I will try and post pictures soon.

Donovan.
GPA 11374

Donovan

Re: Upper Side Ribbing (maybe for sale)

Post by Donovan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:19 am

Everyone,

Here are some pictures:

Donovan
GPA 11374

acmack

Post by acmack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I don't see a difference in the top and bottom in my 2 GPA's. Is the body you see this difference in # 11374? David
David
GPA 9545
GPA 10568
1965 Apollo BP capsule A36
1960 Gemini BP capsule MSC 312

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:48 pm

David,

Yes, the difference is in my vehicle 11374. I cannot say I looked for the difference in other vehicles but you can tell that the lower ribs were deeper and more pronounced and then lessen as you get to the top ribbing. It is the same on both sides. My welder/machinist indicated that he was unsure if this was intentional or a problem with the metal stamping machine. As anyone who has restored a GPA knows, the whole body is made up of individual pieces that were stamped and then pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle. We do not know if the stamping press had a flaw in later models or this was just the way it was.

We are pretty sure that the ribbing is original as the farmer who had it simply slapped sheet steel on damaged areas and then welded it on. It created more problems for us trying to restore it.

Donovan.
GPA 11374