Need info on Captive Nuts

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Donovan

Need info on Captive Nuts

Post by Donovan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Everyone,

I am restoring portions of the top rail and gunnel but have run into a few problems. I am trying to determine where all the captive nuts were placed on the top rail for the decking, supports and accessories and what the size was. Since some of the railing was shot or slightly modified by previous owner, I am not always sure what was supposed to be at any one location. Granted I still have many of the captive nuts, it is still difficult to determine if one was supposed to be at a particular location or not. Since I do not have the decking with the hull I can not place the decking on and see where it might be needed or if accessory items needed captive nuts and the size. I really want a picture that helps me/welder determine where and what should be located at any one point.

Is anybody at the restoration phase that can look at there own vehicle and can help me out?

Thanks,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need info on Captive Nuts

Post by fordgpa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 am

Hi Donovan,
I think Leo Verhoagen can help you out , he is rebuilding his gpa at the moment.
I will ask him if he can make some photo s for you

Peter
Donovan wrote:Everyone,

I am restoring portions of the top rail and gunnel but have run into a few problems. I am trying to determine where all the captive nuts were placed on the top rail for the decking, supports and accessories and what the size was. Since some of the railing was shot or slightly modified by previous owner, I am not always sure what was supposed to be at any one location. Granted I still have many of the captive nuts, it is still difficult to determine if one was supposed to be at a particular location or not. Since I do not have the decking with the hull I can not place the decking on and see where it might be needed or if accessory items needed captive nuts and the size. I really want a picture that helps me/welder determine where and what should be located at any one point.

Is anybody at the restoration phase that can look at there own vehicle and can help me out?

Thanks,

Donovan.

leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 am

Hello Donovan,

As Peter mentioned, I think I can help you out.

I will have to go to my shed and make clear photos of the captive nuts on the top rail all around the GPA.
I will get back to you soon, with photos and info on what size nut goes where and at what places there are no captive nuts.
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Leo,

That would be great. I you want you can send photos to my e-mail at mkdonovan@roadrunner.com

Thank you,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Donovan,

PM send with the information you asked for (I hope).
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:54 am

Leo,

Got it.

Thanks,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Donovan,

Just my two cents but I think it is a mistake to try and figure out where the captive nuts should go without the decking. You should get your decks out to the welder and put them down and mark the spots. I say this especially if you have rebuilt rail and potentially somewhat changed geometry from the original. Just a little change translates and compounds around the curves. It took a lot to get this right on mine.... that said your mileage may vary.

Best of Luck!

Tony
GPA 2196