drag link boot installation

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2077

drag link boot installation

Post by GPA2077 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Does anyone have the secret to stretching the drag link boot over the end of the drag link? I have made a tapered guide and used condom lube and soap as a lubricant with negative results. It is a new boot from Ab Wijker.

Thanks,

Russ
GPA2077
GPA2077

Steve Barber

Re: drag link boot installation

Post by Steve Barber » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 pm

I used an original seal and bolted it in the hull before I installed the drag link. I then made a similar tapered guide and taped it to the bow end of the drag link with electrical tape. I greased up the drag link and the tapered guide and pushed the drag link through the boot from the aft with a slow and steady pressure. I was concerned about tearing the boot but it worked ok.

There is a debate whether to clamp the boot around the drag link or leave it loose so that it does not cause the boot to fail due to it flexing back and forth while steeering. I am using a hybrid approach. I greased the drag link on both sides of the boot and installed two large nylon cable ties (wire ties) in place of a clamp. I installed them snug but not tight. This allows the drag link to slide fore and aft without moving the boot. It is tight enough so that very little water enters the hull when swimming. I have swam the seep one time and it apparently worked well. I want to swim it one more time before I install the cowl and decking so that I can look at the boot to see how much water is leaking between the boot and the drag link. I think a little leakage would be about ideal. I also highly recommend Richard Sanders kit that raises the pitman arm. This allows the drag link to be centered in the boot so that when you enter the water and the suspension drops, the drag link does not drop to the bottom of the seal which can cause the boot to fail.

Steve GPA 5510