Amphibious Week after MVPA Convention

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

Amphibious Week after MVPA Convention

Post by GPA2196 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Guys,

I asked about this the other week because I seemed to remember hearing a reference about it a while back but could not find anything. Then I saw a brief mention about it in the Supply Line. Finally I found this article on the internet... Does anybody have any details? I'd be very interested in participating with my GPA.

An association of European World War II amphibious military craft buffs will bring its annual convention to Evansville in August 2009.

It will mark the first time for the group — the 20-year-old European World Amphibious Association — to hold its Water Week outside Europe.

The presence of the LST 325 was the key to bringing both groups to Evansville, supporters say.

"The Military Vehicle Preservation Association was the cornerstone for the Water Week convention," said Garry Hisel of Jasper, Ind., who is coordinating that meeting. "We had to have the MVPA before they (European group) would talk about coming to the United States."

With it locked in, LST 325 Captain Robert Jornlin and LST board member Kenny Adams and their wives traveled to Holland the week of July 25 to win over the European association.

They presented their proposal at a dinner meeting July 25, said Adams of Covington, Ohio.

The European Amphibious Association has members from 11 or more countries, he said.

"They all have some ties to World War II because of their father or a grandfather that worked in the underground and rescued an American soldier and hid him under the porch," he said.

Members hope to bring their amphibious crafts — military transport vehicles that travel on land and water — to the United States.

Details are yet to be worked out, Adams said, but they likely will be placed on a boat in Sweden bound for an American port.

"If you get to the United States, we will help you from that day on with translators, shipping, whatever it takes," Adams said he and Jornlin pledged.

Adams said the Europeans want to get their amphibious vehicles in the Mississippi River. He indicated arrangements might be made after the two weeks of conventions here, to load them onto the LST 325 for a voyage to the Mississippi.

In Europe, the Water Week is normally held beside a river — this year's was on the Rhine — and members take their "ducks" normally for a half-day cruise on the river and then drive back to their convention site by road.

With the addition of the European group, Hisel said, "My convention just got a little bigger."

He expects the MVPA to bring a couple thousand people to Evansville over three or four days. Its members will have a variety of restored military vehicles ranging from tanks to bicycles.

Their activities will be held at the Vanderburgh 4-H Fairgrounds, Downtown and on the riverfront.

"It's a great thing, once-in-my-lifetime event," said Adams of the back-to-back conventions. "It's great for the ship and great for Evansville."

He said the gatherings will generate national publicity for the city.

"We need to make this really, really good for the Europeans. If we can't do that in the United States, we lose," he said.

"This is very welcome news. Having the European World Amphibious Association here boosts the visibility of our community and is positive economically," Mayor Jonathan Weinzapfel said in a statement. "To convince a group to come to Evansville for its first convention outside of Europe speaks volumes about what our city has to offer."

The idea to bring World Water Week to Evansville first came up in August 2005 when two of the LST's Higgins boats were in Iceland for the filming of "Flags of Our Fathers." The European World Amphibious Association had some of its vehicles in the film, too. Its members heard about LST 325 and decided to come to Evansville to check it out

Thanks,
Tony

Jan Roelse

Re: Amphibious Week after MVPA Convention

Post by Jan Roelse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 am

As far as I know the plans for 2009 to go to the USA are changed for the Dutch amphib group.
Manny Rogers is our contact person in the states. I don,t know exactly what was the end-result of this contact but there is sure no "go" for the moment.
There are a lot of events in 2009 in Europe (Normandy and Amphib 2009 Windemere (GB).
So this message about the MVPA Convention is not the actual situation and - I think - not correct anymore.
Otherwise there is a big misunderstanding! Hope someone (M.R?)can make contact with the MVPA to give the right information.
Kind regards,
Jan
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"

David Welch

Post by David Welch » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 am

Tony,

It is my understanding that the European Amphibious folks opted out last year after looking at their current commitments and the logistics of traveling to Indiana. The reference in Supply Line is "Amphip USA 2009 " a independent gathering of vehicles able to make it to Evansville. I hope to bring my DUKW and GPA. Can we count you in ?

David Welch
President MVPA
David Welch
GPW 77710
M29C 7195
Dukw 353-22096
Bantam trailer
GPA 1359

Jan Roelse

Post by Jan Roelse » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 am

Hi David,
Thanks for your MVPA information.
For me it is not possible to visit the US this year.
It is still my wish to go in the future when there is (hopefully!) a new possibility.
Kind regards,
Jan
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

David,

Great to hear from you. Yes I would love to be included. Are there any more details fleshed out yet so I can start getting my logisitics together. I plan on taking my GPA to the convention, I assume the amphib part will be right after the convention?

Thanks,
Tony

acmack

Post by acmack » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:17 am

Tony, what did you mean by "...right after the convention"? Does that imply Sunday as the Amphib date?
I was planning on attending Fri and Sat. I wouldn't want to miss the Amphib portion.David
GPA 9545
GPA 10568
1965 Apollo BP capsule A36
1960 Gemini BP capsule MSC 312

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:11 am

David,

Yes my understanding is that it will be Sunday/Monday/Tues or something like that but cojoined with the end of the convention. I believe the LST is planning on allowing amphibs to enter and exit from the water which would be pretty cool as well.... I plan on being there so if you need a ride you've got one.... hopefully David Welch can give us some more details. BTW today was high 60's in Georgia so I took the GPA out for a swim on the river... had a great time and drew large crowds...

Tony