Progress 5294

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

gpa5294

Progress 5294

Post by gpa5294 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:11 am

Got the tub back from the welder. I am sure there will be many surprises in the future, but to eleminate a few, I am putting everything together before inserting the frame. I have been driving the frame for the last few months to work out the bugs w/trans and engine. All seems okay. Hope the links work for the pictures. John

GPA2196

Re: Progress 5294

Post by GPA2196 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Looking good John! One thing I noticed is that your fuel filter bowl is painted. It is technically supposed to be plated and a grey silver unfinished color. I bought a plating kit from Eastwood and redid mine... it came out well and then put a new sticker on it. Of course its not very visible when the vehicle is assembled, but I know its there ;)

Tony

gpa5294

Post by gpa5294 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Tony, I was not aware of the finish of the filter. Where did you get the plating kit? I have been trying to find the correct piano hinge for the the radiator, hood, and dash hatch, where is a good source. Also may need help w/the bilge pump, it is at the machine shop. The center bushing was gone and the housing beat out. They are trying to bore and bush the housing and get the shaft lined up. The fear is that the housing will be too thin. Anyway we will cross that bridge when we get there. I am trying to get everything fitted and aligned before putting the frame in the tub. Hopefully I don't miss any blind nuts or fittings now that have to be put in after the priming. I know I will be asking a bunch of questions in the future, such as sources for lower windshield seal, deck seal, the felt that goes around the edges of the ducts, etc. I also plan to put a couple of 12v bilge pumps in for safety and I have seen mentioned in other post about positive pressure pump for the differentials.
What kind of pump is used? Thanks for the help and info, John

Just for grins, this is what I started with

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm

John,

I got the plating kit from Eastwood. I believe originally they were cadmium plated but I think that is a pretty poisonous process so they sell a zinc plating kit. The finish is almost identical if you buff it right you don't want it too shiny. I've done a few now... its kind of fun to do. Yes I hear you on that bilge pump. I had two and both had issues similar to yours plus badly rusted pulleys. Luckily I was able to buy one of the last NOS Bilge Pumps Pete DeBella was willing to sell (don't ask what it cost LOL) For the windshield lower seal if you have the later windshield Beachwood Canvas makes the canvas seal. I believe the early windshield uses the GPW seal. Felt was always a problem for me I was able to scrounge up enough finally to do all my panels, I never found a good source although people have told me they have. Trust me I looked forever. Another thing I did was went to Joannes fabric store and found the button snaps and worked them a little and put a brass slotted machine screw in to make the seat snaps and cowl snaps for the canvas side curtains. We used a rubber weather stripping for the channel where the decks screw down. Etc Etc.... let me know if you have any questions, since this is still pretty fresh.... I tried to document it pretty well with pictures. Also have some tips for assembly as well.

Tony Castagno
GPA 2196