Progress on GPA 9398

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

richardfs

Progress on GPA 9398

Post by richardfs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Works been busy so I have been forced to slow down on hull repairs.

But I find during these busy periods I can get the odd half hour to work on the mechanical parts.

The rear axle is finished and the front axle is close. I am at last fitting some of the parts I have made for others to my new GPA. Like the extended bell crank shaft. In the past I have always used the standard bell crank arm. I ordered a nice NOS one from my parts supplier telling him it was for my GPA. It arrived only to discover it was the wrong on the tappered holes to take the tie rod ends. They were machined in reverse. (The tie rods would be the wrong way up). Naturally I returned it for the correct one.
Then speaking with another GPA owner he explained that after he extended his bell crank shaft and the vehicle was in a hard turn and dipped sharply the tie rod arms would touch on the hull.

To over come this problem he had fitted the bell crank arm I had just returned.
"That would be right". Evidently these arms were designed for a GPW that was fitted with a winch and allowed the tie rod arms to clear the winch drive shaft.
When fitted to a GPA the tie rod arms are lowered and back in the original alignment, and the tie rod ends face down wards for easy greasing.
Needless to say I am back waiting for this bell crank arm to be returned to me.
I will tke some photos and post so you can all see the differance. Another great modification thank you Rick Edwards (I am still learning)

Best regards
Richard

richardfs

Re: Progress on GPA 9398

Post by richardfs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:10 am

Here are the before and after photos:-

With the extended bell crank shaft fitted the tie rod arms are now on a steeper angle.
There is the potential on full turning lock that if the vehicle dips the arms could touch the hull.

Here is the photo with the GPW winch bell crank fitted:-

The tie rod ends are now the other way up re aligning the tie rod arms and giving increased hull clearance. With the extended bell crank shaft the drag link will still be centered in its hull seal.

The added advantage is that all the tie rod ends have the grease points pointing downwards making it easier to grease them.

I hope you find this of interest.

Best regards
Richard

leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the update on the axles, unfortunately I do not have a winch bell crank, I've seen them for sale on eBay, but they were sold too expensive, like many things on eBay. Maybe I will find one in the future for a reasonable price.
Why are your axles painted black? Or is that just a primer colour?

Spings and axles are my next job on the GPA.
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration

richardfs

Post by richardfs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 am

Hi Leo,
The black paint is just primer after sand blasting.

The dealer in Australia has a few of the steering arms if you need one.
I have the spring settings if you need a copy of this.

Best regards
Richard