GPA Post Swim Maintenance

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

GPA Post Swim Maintenance

Post by GPA2196 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Gentlemen,

Getting ready to swim my GPA on my own and wanted to see what the typical maintenance is after a swim. I know after my first swim there was maintenance done but I wasn't there for it... I believe the front diff took on some whater from a loose fill plug that hadn't been fully tightened... so will check diff fluids... and I assume wheel bearings... what is the procedure for checking those and or anything else that would be routinely checked....

Thanks,
Tony

richardfs

Re: GPA Post Swim Maintenance

Post by richardfs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi Tony,
After swimming my GPA I would check the diffs had no water mixed in with the oil.
If in dought change the oil.
It is wise to check the wheel bearings. Do this by sliding out the rear axles and checking for water droplets. If there is no sign, no need to dismantel further. If there is water, remove the drums, wash out the wheel bearings with solvent and repack with clean grease.
Do the same for the front axle.

It is also good to grease the front drive shaft , tie rod ends, and bell crank arm. Any water that has entered will be pushed out by the new grease.
If you get a lot of water in to the hull you must also drain the rear drive shaft tunnel and regrease the uni joint. While you have the grease gun in your hand regrease the prop bearing.

Another good thing to check whilst you are having so much fun is to check the transfer case oil.
If the oil takes on water you have to change the front oil seal.
If the transfer case is over full with oil and it flows out the filler hole the extra oil has come from the 3 speed box. Leave the transfer case over full and add more oil to the 3 speed box.

Gab a pile of old rags and dry up any water remaining in the hull. (Good chance to mop up any oil and keep the bottom of the hull nice and clean.)

Well thats all I can think of for the moment. Enjoy!

If you get tired of the diffs filling up with water se Bob Hasselbergs modifications. (Well worth while) and consider what us Ozzys do:- we preasurise our diffs to 5 psi. No igher or you will blow the oil seals out. But this saves a heap in maintenance.

Best regards
Richard
(See you in Portland, and let me know on that anchor)

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks Richard... great advice as always... hope to see you at the convention!

leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 pm

How about the drain plugs?

Do you install them with any sort of grease or oil on the threads?
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration

Jan Roelse

Post by Jan Roelse » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Leo,

I prefer some water resistant grease for the plugs. Remove first the old grease and dirt.
Sand will damage the thread after several drain operations. My GPA drain plugs looks like lamb fittings after years use. The some thread has round tops now!
KInd regards, Jan
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"