GPA 2196 Swims

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

GPA 2196 Swims

Post by GPA2196 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Gentlemen,

Well the day had finally come to swim GPA 2196. As many of you know and many of us were finding out, getting to this point is quite a jorney. I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me in the past to get to here.

I got up to Dennis Francis' Friday AM to test drive and do final checks before our swim. The GPA drove a lot smoother than I expected... The weight of it made it take bumps and the road really well and its a very secure feeling wrapped in that warm cockpit drving on leather seats :) Quite a bit different than my jeep! After checking it out we decided to wait to swim until Saturday based on the weather and mostly wind... The wind was blowing at 20 mph and white caps seemed ready to form... So I decided to paint my USA numbers. I used the TM9 Ordnances company's new Blue Drab. The paint can had some problems so I emptied the contents into a finishing paint gun. I used Robert's stencils from Belgium. They are very nice but since the numbers are whole it took me a while to get the hang of peeling the backing off and keeping the inner pieces on the A, 9, 4 etc in their right place, but patience won the day.

After painting all three numbers on the hull, we took the GPA outside and tested the lifting hooks in case a water recovery was necessary :) Just kidding we wanted to check the clearance on the drag link seal with the axles hanging. We used Richard Sanders extension and am happy to report everything looked perfect, I highly recommend this piece.

This is the clearance with the supension dangling as it would be in the water

Here is GPA 2196 ready for its first swim on a beautiful spring day.

Off to the lake

Water Entry

Concentration :)

Landing

Dennis Francis' Kids

We had a very successful time swimming. After talking about making sure all the plugs were in several times... even on the boat ramp.... we realized after the first swim we had forgotten the two small FSMWO plugs we added in the rear compartment... Luckily the first swim only lasted less than 10 minutes but long enough to see the water hit the boards under the batteries... a quick trip back to the shop solved the problem! I'm glad we caught it soon enough and after checking the from and center compartments we got a little complacent. Hopefully someone can learn from this and I'm just happy it didn't turn into a problem!

We did take on some water in the main compartment. I think it was mainly due to the decision not to clamp the front boot. we had about a 1/4 inch of water and you really had to list the GPA over to get the pickup for the bilge pump to get at it... so I'm pleased there.... We got a bit of water in the front compartment from splashing water over the front deck on some of the entries... we did 5 swims in all.... I will probably close the front hatch momentarily during exits since anything over a crawl will splash over.

One thing I kept forgetting to do was turn off the prop once I cleared the water luckily I kept getting reminded :) Something to keep in mind... guess it was just the excitement of making a good landing :) I plan to post the videos.

Thanks again for all the help I couldn't have gotten to this point without all of the support from you guys and my family.

Thanks,
Tony
GPA 2196

Cees

Re: GPA 2196 Swims

Post by Cees » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:14 pm

Tony,

It looks very good have a nice swimm.

Cees
1941 Ford GP,
1943 Ford GPA #6849,
1943 Ford GPA # 7741,
1943 Harley WLC,
Dodge WC57,
1942 BMW R75,
1942 KS750,
1944 VW 166,
1940 Hanomag 20b,

http://www.filmprops.nl/produkten/fordgpa.htm

Dominique Cordonnier

Post by Dominique Cordonnier » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Congratulation Tony !!
Dennis as well must be proud of this occation, after this kind of difficult ,tedious and meticulous restoration, that you have to endure for a proper GPA restoration !!
It now looks Beautiful !!....Well done !
Soon will be my turn ....!
Best regards Dominique
Jeep Willys MB 1944
Jeep Willys M38 A1 1958
Jeep M 422 A1 (Mighty Mite ) 1960
Jeep Ford GPA 3052 1942

Jan Roelse

Post by Jan Roelse » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 am

Perfect job, Tony
" Keep them floating"!
I forgot several times the 2 small rear plugs.Since I use 2 radiator draincocks (painted red)instead of plugs it goes better a lot. The profit is also that the plug treadhole stays in good condition. By the way, your driven bilge pump is "easy" able to pump the water overboard when is comes over the rearaxle hull tunnel. Your GPA-behind is just a little bit lower in the water. After this "user" advice o.c. good luck with your GPA!
Jan
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"

GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks guys for all the kind words... yes I can see how those rear plugs could become easy to forget in the future again... I'll have to think about that!

Thanks again for all the support!

Tony