Questions on Restoration

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Donovan

Questions on Restoration

Post by Donovan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Everyone,

As I continue to wait for the hull to be completed a series of questions have arisen that I need help with. Here is my list.

1.) The welder and I have noticed that there appears to be a reinforcing panel that was tacked on to the outside of the body in several places. They include:
a) At the rear spring supports. It almost looks like a piece of sheet metal was bent at 90 degrees and then tacked welded to the body where the spring hanger would attach to the body all the way out to the side and down partially into the wheel well. The welder believes this was done to reinforce this area. Does everyone have this?
b) We have noticed that when you are at the rear of the vehicle (looking forward) there appears to be a piece of sheet steel welded to the pinch seam at a 45 degree angle to reinforce the pinch seam on both the drivers and passenger sides. Does everyone have this and do they think it is necessary?
2.) There are some support brackets on the hull (on the inside) that are right next to the passenger engine cooling vent flap. Mine are bent/broken and I need to see how they are supposed to be oriented. What do they attach to?
3.) Brake hoses/vent hose. I often hear that you are not supposed to use NOS brake hoses as they may have deteriorated with age. What is everyone doing? I am sure if I took one to a brake hose place they could get close but would not have the threads on the outside to seal through the hull. Again what is preference?

I appreciate everyones help.

Thank you in advance,

Donovan.
GPA 11374

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions on Restoration

Post by fordgpa » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:48 am

Donovan wrote:Everyone,

As I continue to wait for the hull to be completed a series of questions have arisen that I need help with. Here is my list.

1.) The welder and I have noticed that there appears to be a reinforcing panel that was tacked on to the outside of the body in several places. They include:
a) At the rear spring supports. It almost looks like a piece of sheet metal was bent at 90 degrees and then tacked welded to the body where the spring hanger would attach to the body all the way out to the side and down partially into the wheel well. The welder believes this was done to reinforce this area. Does everyone have this?
early production is on the outside I think up to serial 6500 +/- then it is inside the hull

b) We have noticed that when you are at the rear of the vehicle (looking forward) there appears to be a piece of sheet steel welded to the pinch seam at a 45 degree angle to reinforce the pinch seam on both the drivers and passenger sides. Does everyone have this and do they think it is necessary?
please add picture I don t understand what you mean

2.) There are some support brackets on the hull (on the inside) that are right next to the passenger engine cooling vent flap. Mine are bent/broken and I need to see how they are supposed to be oriented. What do they attach to?
I think you mean the small radio brackets on the hull, staight forward and if you need a picture let me know

3.) Brake hoses/vent hose. I often hear that you are not supposed to use NOS brake hoses as they may have deteriorated with age. What is everyone doing? I am sure if I took one to a brake hose place they could get close but would not have the threads on the outside to seal through the hull. Again what is preference?
off course it is better to use new ones , I had the nos ones and used them 4 years ago they are good for use I think because i don t have any trouble, I use silicone brake fluid US army

hope this helps you peter

I appreciate everyones help.

Thank you in advance,

Donovan.

Cees

Post by Cees » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:51 am

Donovan,

I allways use new made rubber parts all the seals to. The rubber from NOS parts is moor then 50 years old.

Cees
1941 Ford GP,
1943 Ford GPA #6849,
1943 Ford GPA # 7741,
1943 Harley WLC,
Dodge WC57,
1942 BMW R75,
1942 KS750,
1944 VW 166,
1940 Hanomag 20b,

http://www.filmprops.nl/produkten/fordgpa.htm

Jan Roelse

Post by Jan Roelse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 am

Hi Donovan,
1a - See Peters answer.
1b - If you mean the \ and /-like small reinforgements against the seam- and on top gas welded sheetmetal hull plates, yes, it belongs there.
2 - You mean the small welded (flag-like) welded brackets to fasten the vent-tunnels inside?
If yes, put the plates/tunnels in and see how it fits. Re-weld these or bend in the right possision.
3 - New hoses are the best, if not available use the second best f.i. NOS GPA-hoses. See note.
Jaap Rietveld have some still in stock.
I hope you can go further with your fine job!
Kind regards,
Jan

Note: Think about the risks according Cees remarks.
Last edited by Jan Roelse on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"

Cees

Post by Cees » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 am

In my opinion it is not safe to use NOS brake hoses from 50+ yaers old. I think that your live and that of others is dipending on those brake hoses.
Cees
1941 Ford GP,
1943 Ford GPA #6849,
1943 Ford GPA # 7741,
1943 Harley WLC,
Dodge WC57,
1942 BMW R75,
1942 KS750,
1944 VW 166,
1940 Hanomag 20b,

http://www.filmprops.nl/produkten/fordgpa.htm

Jan Roelse

Post by Jan Roelse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 am

Cees,
This is true and is not an issue for me.
In normal traffic you need 100% good brakes. When you use a trailer for it and use your amphib just for fun in the water it can be another story.
I think there are a lot of parts with the same problems.
A lot of people use old tires too. Even old NOS head brake cylinder repair-kits.
Kind regards,
Jan
GPA 1942 #3972
GPA 1943 #11933
GPW 1942 #34836
WLA 1942 #60724
WLC 1943 #5185
WC 56/57 COMMAND CAR
AMPHICAR
Collector:WW2 docs/prints amphibians.
Avatar: Tribute to Ben Carlin "Half Safe"

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:53 am

Everyone,

Thank you for your help. I thought they were original (both rear and spring supports) and I just wanted to be sure. While I like the idea of putting them inside I will leave it up to the welder to decide what is easiest.

As for the brake hoses, I will have to see what the "hose man" says about reproducing them. I have NOS hose that are in excellent shape and show no signs of fatigue and have tested them (lightly). I just worry that it may be a bit problematic to reproduce.

Again thanks for the help,

Donovan.
GPA 11374