Amphib international England 2017.

Here you can add GPA pictures from an event.

Moderator: bobassel

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amphib international England 2017.

Post by bobassel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Dear friends,
I am glad to announce the 31st Amphib international, held in England 2017 sunny

Hello Amphib Friends, here is some information about next year’s 31st Amphib meeting, to be held near Henley-on-Thames, we have got a site right on the banks of the beautiful River Thames about 65Km west of London. It is not a regular camping site but we will provide all the usual facilities that we are used to. We have the site from the 29th July until the 6th August, please note that you cannot arrive before the 29th July or stay longer than the 6th August. There are two campsites nearby, Henley Four Oaks Caravan Park and Swiss Farm Touring and Camping. Also Lorraine and Paul Foley have offered the possibility to stay at their farm, see the attachment for details.
We will have 4 or 5 days sailing on the River Thames and visit some interesting towns on the water. Please be aware that there will be locks on each day’s sailing so make sure you have plenty of ropes and fenders. Also, we have had to get special permission for the Amphibs to sail on the river so every amphib must be insured for use on the water and be in good condition.
As usual we will be sending out invitations early next year, could we ask that if you have already decided you will NOT be coming to Amphib please let us know as this will assist us in our administration,.

Best regards
Amphib 2017 Committee

amphib2017.england@gmail.com
Ford GPA 12350, april 4th 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amphib international England 2017.

Post by bobassel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 am

I just returned from a great week Amphib international England 2017 sunny
Bob Skinner and his team arranged for us a well organised week of swimming with our vehicles
on the river Thames, near the town "Henley on Thames".
Saturday was the day of arrivals and we got a welcome party.
On sunday we were treated on a tour and visited the "history on wheels" museum were beside a lot of interesting cars
also a Ford GPA was exposed.
The campsite was a great spot in the middle of English green forrests and meadows, with a ramp to the river.
A big tent was there with a bar and enough seats to have the briefings, farewell diner and nice evenings to talk with
other amphib owners.
There was a Dutch evening with food and drinks for free.
On monday we had a nice trip and in the evening a meal with fish & chips.
Tuesday we sailed a nice trip with as finishing point a sail near Windsor Castle of the queen. (not invited for tea) cry
In the evening we were treated with bread and hogroast (grilled pork)
Wednesday was the day of, and I was able to collect my French friend and guest Dominique Cordonier.
Thurday we had a beautifull trip with a visit to Mapledurham / watermill.
This was the location were the film "the eagle has landed " was filmed.
Friday we had a shorter trip because in the evening we had the farewell BBQ diner and a party with a band.
Here Cees Witte and wife with his new restored GPA.(top)
We had our Russian friend Mr. Vadim Popov as our guest with his Dutton.(Below)
He brought a lot of Russian magazines 4 X 4 for us, were the Amphib Sweden was reported sunny
During this week, every day we had to experiance a lot of locks, but no troubles at all lol
There were also two expirimental amphibs with us.
A big Gibbs, new prototype.
Also a smaller gibbs, and I was told that there were only 30 made.
The driver of the last one was the famous guy from the t.v. series "wheeler dealers" Edd China.
This nice guy was willing to take place behind the steering wheel of my GPA. lol sunny
All & all we all had a great time and camper van and GPA gave me no problems and performed well lol
In totall we were there with 66 amphibs;
12 Ford GPA
19 Amphi cars
5 GAZ 46
6 VW Schwimmwagens
2 Stalwarts
8 Duttons
7 GMC DUKW
2 Beijing Jeeps
5 other experimental or own made Amphibs.
Saturday was the day of leaving or free sailing on the Thames.
I left Sunday after a nice "cooling down" day joker
The weather was very variable, but lot of times sunny.
All participants were very curious of the location of next Amphib rolley
No country was ready to organise, and we were afraid that our yearly tradition would have been broken cry
Luckely Thomas Terrang of Sweden invited us to come over to Sweden again like in 2016 Bunn.
It is short after 2016, but everybody was pleased that he saved the tradition.
It will be held on an other location than 2016.
Looking out to this!
Bob
Article from the Henley Standard:
Ford GPA 12350, april 4th 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952