GPA 839 barn find

Here you can post your GPA serial numbers, your GPA history and if you want
some owners info with pictures.
Nice to see a face that belongs to a GPA !

Moderator: bobassel

jeepjop

GPA 839 barn find

Post by jeepjop » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I just picked up GPA 839. This GPA is basically a craigslist barn find so I guess there still hope that there are others out waiting to be found even in 2011.
It was used as a hunting rig in northern California since at least the early 1970's and eventailly parked. It is now located in Boise, Idaho.

So far the engine # and dataplate # match and It looks like I will need to remove some added metal to access the frame number but I would expect it to match too. I can't think of a logical reason that the front and rear have been cut off, but whoever did it did a failry clean job taking things apart things at the seams and splicing stuff back together even the additoions on the frame are just bolted on rather than welded.
It's very sad that it has been altered so much and it is missing so many parts but I think the core is there; with correct powerplant/drivetrain, some of the special components and the fact that it is so early and tenitively #'s matching make it a good platform to build on. I also think I'm luck that the areas of the hull and the frame that haven't been cut appear very solid and relitvely rust free.

I am approcahing this as a long term projected and this will be my first GPA. I've had a number of MB and GPW's and I guess I'm ready to empty my bank account and take on a big projoct. lol Although it's missing a ton of parts and panels I'm confident with a lot of help, a lot of luck, and some skill I can get it back on top of the water and at some events.

I would be more than happy to provide any information or pictures that will help expand the knowlege on early GPA or help others with their restorations. I would also be very thankful for recomndations and any help locating any parts that may help along my restoration and nailing down details specific to this early GPA.

Well here's what I'm starting with (there are more pictures on the g503 album site):