Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tribute to Ben Carlin & "half Safe"

Post by bobassel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Tribute to Ben Carlin,

I got this info and pictures from my friend Craig Olsen from Australia, and this report is with his permission. ( I always call GPA owners my friends!) lol
It all started with the sale of two Ford GPA’s that were bought by R&R motors in G.B. in India in 1999, and they were offered at the War & Peace show at that year.
These two GPA’s served in the British service and were delivered by lend lease to the British Army, and about 120 GPA’s of this lot were send to India and Burma.
The best of the two, the white one, GPA 3052 was bought by an British guy who did the restoration.
He used it only for driving on land, and after a few years it was for sale. rolley
Dominique Cordonier from France was able to buy this GPA and made the restoration complete and made the GPA float again.
The other one, GPA 7228 was sold to David Ursin from the USA in 2004.
From David in the USA, the GPA found its way to Australia, and the new owner became
Craig Olsen.(Ollygolf)(2006)
For several years I was in contact with Craig and we had mail contact about parts and restoration of the GPA.
With a lot of help other GPA owners and technicians he did the restoration of this GPA.
When the GPA was reaching final stage of restoration, Craig came in contact with people
of Channel 7 with presenter – Alex Cullen, and this Channel was interested to do a documentary
about the Ben Carlin story.
Craig was asked to co-operate with this documentary with the providing of his almost finished GPA.
He agreed and the GPA received a cage with the shape of the original Ben Carlin GPA of the second version, (after rebuild in Great Britain).
Here the original GPA from Ben Carlin, and posing near the GPA is Tony van der Ven.
Channel 7 did a lot of research of Ben Carlin and his trip and filmed on several locations.
They used also a drone to make great pictures of the “Craig Carlin” GPA.
Even “Wilson” from the fantastic movie “Cast away” was there to join the GPA trip.
GPA 7228 went to open sea in salt water to make fantastic pictures, like the original
Ben Carlin GPA ( 1239) did.
Craig’s plans are to leave the GPA in this outfit for at least a year, and will probably change it again to factory outfit.
Speaking with him about my worries of using the GPA in salt water, Craig said that they make careful preparations to protect the GPA the best they could do.
All salt water was thoroughly cleansed with fresh water after the sea trip.
But I can really imagine the temptation of sailing with your GPA on open sea.
When the documentary will be broadcast is not yet known, but there will be a shorter version on the internet afterwards.
Anyway this is and will be an inspiration to all (amphib) and GPA owners.
I am looking forward to the broadcast.
Bob sunny
Ford GPA 12350, april 4th 1943
Author of GPA book,
Willys MD M38A1, A13817 1952

Arron Walker

Re: Tribute to Ben Carlin & "half Safe"

Post by Arron Walker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Well done to Craig. Can't wait to see it on TV.

ollygolf

Re: Tribute to Ben Carlin & "half Safe"

Post by ollygolf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:45 am

Hi GPA friends,
My wife put together a little Utube piece on the project. She used some extra photos and some footage. Use the link below.
Still no date of the show going to air yet.
cheers, Craig.

https://youtu.be/omfPcVBCyE4